Moments in History
The study of the brain has an interesting history. Check out this abbreviated time line to learn interesting facts about the history of brain research and development.
- 2000 B.C.. Archeologists found evidence that primitive brain surgery was performed by drilling a hole in the skull.
- 1811. Scottish surgeon Charles Bell described how each of the senses had a corresponding spot in the brain.
- 1899. Aspirin was marketed as a pain reliever, but was not available without a prescription until 1915.
- 1921. Hermann Rorschach invented the now-famous ink blot test for use with his patients.
- 1959. The first rhesus monkey was sent into space to study human behavior.